1) Composers of any age and nationality
2) Compositions must not have been previously published (all entries will be thoroughly checked)
3) Compositions must not have won any prize in a previous composition competition (all entries will be thoroughly checked)
4) Compositions must never have been performed in public (all entries will be thoroughly checked)
5) Only one entry per composer
Length and Format
1) 7-15 minutes in duration
2) Work must be written exclusively for one of the following:
-violin and piano duo
-cello and piano duo
-clarinet and piano duo
Application (deadline 1st July 2021)
1) Short Biography (300 words max)
2) Submissions must only be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Biography and scores must be typeset and attached as PDF files
4) If possible, please attach a recording of your composition (mp3, wav or midi file).
4) There is no application fee.
1) The winner and runners-up will be announced on the opening day of the 2021 Solent Music Festival on 20th September. Details will then posted immediately to this page and the SMF Instagram account. The jury’s decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
1) One prize only of £3000 to be paid via bank transfer.
2) The winning work will be premiered at the Solent Music Festival in 2022. It must not be performed in public or recorded for public distribution before this premiere.
Competition web pages: