Ensemble in Residence 2021: Ensemble Ars Nova (France)
Instructors 2021: Claire-Mélanie Sinnhuber (composer), Gregory Vajda (conductor, composer) and Peter Eötvös (conductor, composer)
Dates: Monday, August 16, 2021 to Friday, August 20, 2021
The 2021 edition offers young conductors the following opportunities:
- Masterclass with Gregory Vajda and Peter Eötvös on Stravinsky and Eötvös Octets for wind instruments
- Working with ensemble Ars Nova, an outstanding French music ensemble known for its commitment to new music and educational transmission
- Working with young composers selected for this edition of ECA and conducting a 5-minutes piece for wind octet specially written for this summer academy and for the musicians of Ensemble Ars Nova
- Public concert at the end of the Academy
The conducting workshop will be run in parallel with the composer’s workshop where they will also rehearse new works specially written for this summer academy and for the musicians of Ensemble Ars Nova. Conductors are welcome to participate as listeners.
- No Age Limit
Priority will be given to early applicants, and to conductors at the start of their careers and/or undergoing training at a higher education institution.
Tuition and Lodging are fully covered by the ECA for all selected conductors (active participants).
Unfortunately, we cannot cover the lodging for active listeners (non-podium participants) for 2021.
*Travel fees are at the cost of all the participants.
Deadline for the application on 30th June 2021.
To apply please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documentation:
Subject: Full name – ECA 2021 Conducting Workshop
- Submit resumé/CV
- Submit 2 conducting video links of a good quality
- I. Stravinsky, Octet for wind instruments
- P. Eötvös, Octet for wind instruments
- New works by selected composers for the 2021 edition (one 5 min work maximum per conductor)
- have to prepare all the scores mentioned in the “Repertoire” section above.
The new works written by the selected composers will be sent to the selected conductors by the beginning of August 2021.
- have to work with one of the selected composers. The attribution of the scores to the selected conductors will be made by the artistic direction of the ECA.
- must attend all masterclasses and rehearsals
- will conduct ensemble Ars Nova during the final concert on Friday, August 20, 2021
Active listener – non-podium participant
You may also write to us to attend the academy as an active listener for all sessions.
In this case, so that the time spent on site is valued, we suggest also to prepare the 2 octets by Igor Stravinsky and Peter Eötvös.
Participants will - by submitting their application - hand over all rights on video and audio recordings to the ECA: this includes all pictures and videos taken on and off the stage.
Participants will - by submitting their application - also give their permission and approval to the ECA to use their names and pictures in press releases related to this summer academy.
For more information, please contact David Hudry: email@example.com
Details are available at web pages: