ManiFeste, the IRCAM multidisciplinary festival and academy, is a gathering of creative artists in Paris, combining music with other disciplines: theater, dance, digital arts, and visual arts. TThe academy welcomes and trains many young composers, performers, and listeners from all over the world to benefit from our large-scale artistic and technological environment and a large public audience during the workshops. More details on: www.ircam.fr
Educational Advisor: Francesco Filidei (composer)
The Ensemble Intercontemporain is offering a workshop for eight young composers who will work closely with the musicians, and with Italian composer Francesco Filidei, to finalize their piece. The 8 selected composers will be requested to write for one of the 8 suggested instrument groups, paying a special attention to composition of the form in time and memory.
The selected composers will have an hour-long online meeting with Francesco Filidei in January 2023 to present their composition project (a sketch is appreciated). Filidei, the IRCAM teams, and Ensemble Intercontemporain will closely examine the scores (conductor and separate parts) which will be returned on April 4, 2023 to ensure their conformity and feasibility. If necessary, requests for modifications will be addressed to selected composers.
In June 2023, the workshop will begin with one-on-one meetings with Francesco Filidei. Following this, each piece will have 2 half-day rehearsals and a dress rehearsal before the 8 pieces are presented to the public during a concert held in the ManiFeste festival. The group of young composers will also have a second individual meeting with Francesco Filidei in the middle of the week and a debriefing session after the performance.
The eight selected candidates are required to attend all rehearsals during the workshop..
• be born after January 1, 1991
• not have participated twice before in another ManiFeste Academy workshop
• be able to speak and understand English or French
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, November 9, 2022, 10am CEST
Response sent by email: Wednesday, December 22, 2022
To apply, you must create an account (or use an existing account) on the ULYSSES platform, complete your profile, and click on "Apply" from the "MANIFESTE-2023 Chamber Composition Workshop" call page, then:
• fill in personal information (last name, first name, age, nationality, address, cell phone number, ID, face photo which may be used by IRCAM for access badges and online photo albums)
• write a short biography (800 characters MAXIMUM) which may be used by IRCAM for concert programs
• list your educational background, professional experience, awards and grants obtained
• present 2 or 3 recent works of your composition, including at least one for chamber music (mp3 audio and pdf score)
• write a presentation letter about your composition project for the workshop(maximum 1 page) proposing a theme of your choice and specifying 2 or 3 favorite instrument groups among the 8 suggested (see below).
The platform will notify you of any incompleteness before the final submission. Applicants may save their application as a draft before the submission deadline.
Do not forget to finalize your application on clicking on SUBMIT button.
Do not forget to read carefully consent and release form at the end of the form before submitting your application.
The selection jury will include the composer Francesco Filidei and two musicians from the Ensemble Intercontemporain
PARTICIPATION CONDITIONS FOR SELECTED COMPOSERS
The selected composers must, under penalty of cancellation of their participation:
• write an original score:
- duration of 5 to 8 minutes maximum;
- for one of the proposed groups:
• flute, clarinet
• violin, viola
• clarinet, piano, cello
• piano, violin, cello
• flute, trumpet, percussion
• trumpet, percussion, viola
• flute, clarinet, trumpet, percussion
• piano, violin, viola, cello
available percussions: 1 marimba, tom, snare drum, tubular bells, crotales (antique cymbals)
• participate in an individual meeting by videoconference with the guest composer in January 2023 to present and validate their musical project;
• pay their registration fees no later than Tuesday, January 24, 2023;
• send their complete score (conductor and separate parts) respecting the graphical charter provided by email, no later than Tuesday, April 4, 2023, under penalty of cancellation of their participation in the academy;
• make any changes to their score that may be requested by the teaching staff;
• attend all rehearsals and meetings for their workshop.
Registration fee: 300€
The Academy does not offer any scholarships. The Academy does not cover any expenses incurred for travel or accommodation. Participants must find their own accommodation.
Selected composers who do not respect the conditions defined by faculty (instrumentation, duration, graphical guidelines, deadlines for the submission of scores) or who are absent during the workshop, even partially, will have their participation automatically cancelled without possibility of appeal and without reimbursement of their registration fees.
Registration fees will be refunded if the academy is cancelled due measures in connection with COVID-19 restrictions. However, disruptions in transportation, health recommendations and quarantine, or testing requirements will be the responsibility of the applicant, who is responsible for making arrangements to meet the COVID-19 requirements both in his or her home country and upon arrival in France.
For any request regarding the workshop or the application, please contact academy (at) ircam.fr
For technical assistance, please have a look to the help page or contact technical.assistance (at) ulysses-network.eu
© picture by Olivier Roller