Partnering with The Hong Kong Children's Choir, Hong Kong Youth Choir, and Die Konzertisten, CUHK will be hosting a conference on Contemporary Cantonese Music with a culminating concert showcasing Cantonese choral works in late Spring 2023. The concert will feature six original works from the call for scores. The open category welcomes submissions from composers of all ages and nationalities.
Work 1–2: Performance by Die Konzertisten (max. divisi SSAATTBB)
Work 3–4: Performance by The Hong Kong Children’s Choir (max. divisi SSAA)
1. The submitted work must be original. No arrangements of works by other composers are accepted.
2. The submitted work may have already received a public performance, but new works are preferred.
3. The submitted work should be composed for mixed choir or children's choir, with or without piano accompaniment*.
4. The submitted work should not exceed 5 minutes.
5. It is strongly encouraged that the text be sung in Cantonese only. Should the composer wish to include other languages, the proportion of the other languages should not exceed 50% of the text.
6. If the text is not in public domain, the composer should provide proof of permission to use the text.
*owing to limitations of the performing venue, the sostenuto pedal is not available and inside-piano techniques/preparations cannot be accommodated.
Submission deadline: 31 Dec 2022
All complete submissions will be evaluated by a panel consisting of composers and music directors of the performing choirs. Results will be announced by early 2023. In case of contingencies, From Constraints to Creativity reserves the right to make reasonable adjustments to the performance arrangements.
Should you have any enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Call-for-scores”. We look forward to your submissions.
Details are available at web pages: