As a part of the Thailand New Music and Arts Symposium Open Calls 2021, we are offering a new category of call for scores: “The Khaen in Southeast Asia”. Khaen performer Christopher Adler invites submissions of original solo compositions for the khaen—the bamboo free-reed mouth organ of Laos and Thailand—written by composers in Southeast Asia or from Southeast Asia. One selected work will be performed at TNMAS 2021, and additional works may be selected for future performance.
• There is no fee to submit, and no age limit.
• This call is open to all composers living in Southeast Asia presently, as well as composers of Southeast Asian heritage living anywhere in the world.
• Works should be composed for the 16-pipe Lao-style khaen.
For a complete guide to the instrument and notation, see:
• Works in experimental and non-conventional notation are welcome
• Works including electronics are possible
• Works may be up to 8 minutes in length
• Submit scores by July 15th, 2021 to: email@example.com
• For questions and inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
• More applications: http://www.tmaomusic.com/apply-2021/