SHE LIVES — the leading European musical association for promoting the dissemination of contemporary music— is honoured to announce the second edition of the "SHE LIVES Budapest Prize"!
Since its establishment SHE LIVES has had the privilege of working with internationally acclaimed artists such as Peter Eötvös, Lasse Thoresen and Sidney Corbett, as well globally renowned institutions, including: Solisti della Scala di Milano, Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, Accademia Chigiana di Siena, Accademia Filarmonica Romana, Fondazione Scelsi, UMZE (the historic ensemble founded by Bartók), Budapest Music Center, LAC – Lugano Arte e Cultura, Festival oggimusica, Yamaha Concert Hall Wien, Pro Helvetia, Contemporary Art Festival Budapest, Warner Classics, and Naxos. She Lives is also the organizer of the first composition competition in Italy in terms of participants: the "Andrea Ceraso Rome Award".
1. The competition is open to composers of all ages and nationalities, without restrictions of gender, ideas, religious affiliation etc.
2. The competition theme is the composition of a piece for piano solo.
3. Prepared piano, the use of electronics, and fixed media are allowed.
4. Live electronics are not allowed.
5. The duration of the piece must not exceed 25 minutes. There are no minimum duration limits.
6. The piece may have already been performed, published, and awarded in competitions other than those organized by the She Lives association.
7. There are no style limitations. The jury will evaluate the musical quality and originality of the writing.
8. The piece can be written with a notational programme (Sibelius, Finale, etc.) as well as handwritten as long as it is clearly legible.
Prize fund: 3000 euro
First Prize (Winner): 1000 euro + performance* + portfolio (i.e., composer’s personal page) on the She Lives website.
Potential bonus Excellence Prize for the winner: an additional 1000 euro and Excellence Prize will be awarded should the average score exceed 9 points out of 10.
Second Prize: 500 euro + performance* + portfolio (i.e., composer’s personal page) on the She Lives website.
Potential bonus Distinction Prize for second place: an additional 300 euro and Distinction Prize, will be awarded should the average score exceed 8.5 points out of 10
Third Prize: performance* + portfolio (i.e., composer’s personal page) on the She Lives website.
Potential bonus Recognition Prize for third place: an additional 200 euro and Recognition Prize, will be awarded should the average score exceed 8 points out of 10.
*The winning compositions shall be performed in the 2021/2022 or 2022/2023 SHE LIVES Association concert season.
November 30, 2021 (23:59 Rome time)
The competition participation fee is of 55 euros for the first piece submitted.
Each composer can participate in the competition with a maximum of 5 pieces (first piece + 4 others). A sum of 25 Euros will be paid for each additional piece.
For clarity, the following are the participation fees in relation to the number of compositions sent.
1 piece: 55 Euros
2 pieces: 80 Euros
3 pieces: 105 Euros
4 pieces: 130 Euros
5 pieces: 155 Euros
Details are available at web pages: