Ricordi Berlin relaunches composers competition ricordilab
Established in 2016, ricordilab provides the opportunity for emerging composers to participate in a three-year collaboration with Ricordi Berlin. We will publish selected works, provide international promotion and support the laureates with expertise in the music industry.
After the immense success of ricordilab’s first two cohorts of composers, Ricordi Berlin decided to relaunch ricordilab for the period from 2022 to 2025.
We are seeking composers from various backgrounds with promising and unique compositional voices to enrich Ricordi Berlin’s roster. Operas or other stage works are especially welcome.
To avoid bias, we consult an advisory board of internationally renowned experts, consisting of Heribert Germeshausen, Intendant of Dortmund opera; Paul Hughes, Director of the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus and of the BBC Singers; Mark Sattler, Dramaturg of Lucerne Festival; Julia Spinola, journalist; and Julia Wolfe, composer.
ricordilab owes a debt of gratitude to its network of associated partners that have agreed to feature select laureates in their programs during their tenure. Our partners include: Bamberg Symphony, Musikkollegium Winterthur, Orchestre National d'Auvergne, ensemble mosaik, riot ensemble, Beethovenfest Bonn, Campus Grafenegg, Oper Frankfurt and Fondazione Haydn di Bolzano e Trento.
IDAGIO, media and streaming partner, will help us boost the artists’ digital profiles.
Laureates from developing and transition countries will receive a grant from the Goethe-Institut for a residency in Germany, which includes travel costs and allowances as well as a commission for ensemble to be premiered by ensemble mosaik, Berlin.
Terms and Conditions
• Applicants must be born after August 31st, 1982
• Applicants must submit 3 works (if applying with stage works: 4 works)
• Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions: lasse.mueller[at]umusic.com
Grant provided by the Goethe-Institut:
• Only for composers from developing and transition countries (see this list)
• Residency (3-6 weeks) must take place in 2022
• Separate application at Goethe-Institut (online, simplified procedure) necessary
• Terms and Conditions of Goethe-Institut apply.
For the submission you need to create an account on the ULYSSES platform. Please use the Log in / register now button on the top of the page.
Applicants should submit the following mandatory materials:
• Completed online form
• Complete list of works (with details of year, title, subtitle, duration, instrumentation, date/place and ensemble of the world premiere, program note, publisher if relevant)
• Scores (pdf):
• If applying with stage works (ad libitum):
• Recordings of the submitted works (mp3)
• Bio or CV (in English, maximum 3,500 characters including spaces)
• List of upcoming performances and commissions
• Links (website, social media)
• Collaboration with associated partners
• Publication of selected works
• Administration (collecting societies, royalties, licensing, accounting)
• Help with commission contracts and licensing
• Production and distribution of published works
• International promotion (personal meetings with our clients, print publication, press activities, website, newsletter, social media)
• Consultation: Team members of Ricordi Berlin will actively consult the laureates regarding the development of their careers
• Grant from Goethe-Institut (only for composers from DAC-countries (see list)
Intendant of Dortmund opera
Director of the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus and of the BBC Singers
Dramaturg of Lucerne Festival
Please refrain from contacting members of the advisory board.
Orchestre National d'Auvergne
Fondazione Haydn di Bolzano e Trento
November 15, 2021: Applications open
January 15, 2022, 23:59 pm CET: Application deadline
September 2022: Notification of acceptance