The Department for Equality and Diversity of the hmdw - Students' Union of the mdw - University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna is holding a composition competition for the first time. The name of the competition refers to the discriminatory events in Poland in 2019/20, in connection with the proclamation of so-called “LGBT-free zones”.
As the direct result, every third of the country's regions adopted declarations, which violate human rights and negate rights of sexual minorities in every third region of the country (https://atlasnienawisci.pl)
The aim of the competition "Over the Rainbow" is to motivate artists to face the subject of human rights violations, stigmatisation and social exclusion of the LGBTQ + community.
1. The composition competition "Over the Rainbow" is an international call for scores and is aimed at composers of all ages, nationalities, without restrictions in gender, religious beliefs, etc.
2. The competition is conducted anonymously. In order to be able to guarantee anonymity, all submissions have to be sent only to the following email: email@example.com. Only one composition may be submitted per applicant.
3. The application period ends on February 20th, 2021, 11:59 p.m. (CET).
4. There are no stylistic restrictions. Expected duration of the work: approx. 5-10 minutes, instrumentation: 2-5 instruments (violin, cello, flute [also: piccolo], clarinet [also: bass clarinet], piano).
5. Three winning compositions will be awarded by the Jury composed of lecturers of the University and representatives of the Department for Equality and Diversity.
6. Winning compositions will be premiered at the mdw on the diversity unplugged event, as a part of Vienna Pride in June 2021 (Unless affected by pandemics).
7. The jury's decision will be announced on the website of the Department for Equality and Diversity (https://www.hmdw.ac.at/index.php/uv-referate/referat-fuer-gleichstellung-und-diversity) at the beginning of March 2021 . Selected applicants will be informed by email.
Details are available at web pages: