June 15-24, 2020, Paris, France
(calls for other workshops of the academy will open in the next weeks)
IRCAM's ManiFeste, the rendezvous for creation in Paris, welcome every year around 120 young composers and performers from the world over to take part in the academy, benefitting from a major artistic and technological setting as well as the presence of a large public audience for final performances. In addition, students and auditors can take part in a range of associated events.
During the academy ManiFeste-2020, guest composer Rebecca Saunders and vocalists from the Neue Vocalsolisten Stuttgart offer 5 young composers (under 32) a one-week workshop dedicated to small vocal ensemble composition.
Principle points of focus of program:
1. focus on the formal and timbral potential of a single sound, gesture, action, idea
2. active collaborative exploration on the voice with the singers
3. exploring precise notation and communication
4. composition and performance of short new piece
Emphasis is on the process of this intensive 5-day program.
The group meets every day with the vocalists and full participation is expected, including an extended composition seminar.
The composition shall focus on a single sound, timbral fragment, musical gesture, theatrical gesture or action, word/words, or a specific approach to a text.
A text can, but it doesn´t have to be, be chosen.
The resultant miniature compositions of 5 minutes will be presented and performed on Saturday, June 20.
From Monday, June 22 to Wednesday, June 24, young composers will have the opportunity to discover IRCAM researches and development dedicated to voice, guiding by composer Marta Gentilucci and IRCAM researchers (lectures, master classes, individual meetings).
Applicants must be born after January 1, 1988.
Composers cannot sign up for the composition workshops more than two years in a row. They can, however, follow the academy’s activities as an auditor as long as they would like.
Applicants must create an account (or use an existing account) on the ULYSSES platform, complete their profile, and click on “apply” on the “MANIFESTE-2020 Vocal Composition Workshop – Rebecca Saunders & Neue Vocalsolisten Stuttgart” call for applications page. They must:
- Fill out all personal information (name, sex, age, nationality, address, mobile phone number, valid ID, photo of the applicant’s face that can be used by IRCAM for access badges);
- Write a short biography (800 characters MAXIMUM) that can be used by IRCAM for concert programs;
- List their educational experience, professional experience, awards and scholarships;
- Upload a one-page CV (pdf);
- State their preference - which and how many voices they would like to compose for- although, for organisational reasons, should he/she be selected, a different grouping may be offered;
- Illustrate their proposal for a new short vocal composition as a simple short sketch or very short written proposal with or without text (pdf);
- Present 2 recent chamber music or solo works they composed although, not necessarily for voice (mp3 audio and score in pdf);
- All recommendation letters or documents deemed useful (pdf).
The platform will notify you of any incompleteness before the final submission. Applicants may save their application as a draft before the submission deadline.
Do not forget to finalize your application on clicking on SUBMIT button.
Do not forget to read carefully consent and release form at the end of the form before submitting your application.
The jury will be made up of the composer Rebecca Saunders, the vocalists from the Neue Vocalsolisten Stuttgart , the director of IRCAM, Frank Madlener.
Registration fees: 250 €
The academy does not offer any scholarships or housing. Participants must find their own housing.
Selected composers must (under penalty of loss of student status):
- Commit to writing an original score with the following characteristics:
* for 3 to 5 voices from soprano, mezzo, tenor, baritone, bass (detailed ranges sent on demand to academy (at)ircam.fr);
* duration circa 5 minutes – Please, note longer pieces may have to be excluded from this program;
* the composition shall focus on a single sound, timbral fragment, musical gesture, theatrical gesture or action, word/words, or a specific approach to a text. A text can, but it doesn´t have to be, be chosen. In that case, selected applicants will have to give proof they have rights to use this text in this context;
- Pay all registration fees in full before Tuesday, February, the 11th, 2020;
- Send the pdf scores by email before Thursday, April, the 16th, 2020.
Composers who do not send their scores before the deadline or do not respect the guidelines, or those who will be absent—even partially—during the workshop will be excluded from the workshop (the selected composers are expected to attend all sessions). In this case, registration fees will not be reimbursed.
IT IS THE APPLICANT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE SHE/HE UNDERSTANDS AND MEETS THE WORKSHOP OR COURSE INFORMATION.
For any request regarding the workshop or the application, please contact academy (at) ircam.fr
For technical assistance, please have a look to the help page or contact technical.assistance (at) ulysses-network.eu