June 15-27, 2020, Paris, France
IRCAM's ManiFeste, the rendezvous for creation in Paris, welcome every year around 120 young composers and performers from the world over to take part in the academy, benefitting from a major artistic and technological setting as well as the presence of a large public audience for final performances. In addition, students and auditors can take part in a range of associated events.
French singer Valérie Philippin will lead a master class for young female singers who wish to explore the contemporary repertoire for voice with electronics. Valerie Philippin proposes listening sessions and hands-on workshops with improvisation along with the academy student computer-music designers, to explore abilities of each participant. A special focus will be given to mixed works (solo voice & electronics) that will be performed for the ManiFeste-2020’s audience:
Luigi Nono : La Fabbrica Illuminata
Kaija Saariaho : Lohn
Daniel D'Adamo : Lips, your lips
Mauro Lanza : Erba nera che cresci segno nero tu vivi
Jean-Claude Risset : Inharmonique
After the concert, the Master Class will be dedicated to special sessions focused on "a cappella" solo works suggested by the young singers and proposed by Valérie Philippin.
Applications must be born after January 1, 1988
Apply Online: ULYSSES Platform
Applications Accepted: Monday, February 24, 2020, 16:00 (Paris GMT)
Reply (e-mail): End of March, 2020
Applicants must create an account (or use an existing account) on the ULYSSES platform, complete their profile, and click on “apply” on the “MANIFESTE-2020 Master Class for voice” call for applications page. They must:
· Fill out all personal information (name, sex, age, nationality, address, cell phone number, valid ID with date of birth, photo of the applicant’s face that can be used by IRCAM for access badges)
· Write a short biography (800 characters MAXIMUM) that can be used by IRCAM for concert programs
. Write a short CV (1 page maximum, pdf)
. Write a cover letter explaining why she wants to join the Master Class
. Suggest an acoustic "a cappella" solo work of their choice they would like to work on during the Master Class (optional). Selected participants will be in touch with Valerie Philippin to choose this second piece together.
Present 2 recent performances:
1. Performance 1: please submit a link to a YouTube video where you briefly introduce yourself and perform a 20th or 21st century "contemporary language" solo or soloist work. Submit also a pdf score for the work
2. Performance 2: please submit a link to a YouTube video where you perform a “classical” solo or soloist work (before 1920). Submit also a pdf score for the work.
The platform will notify you of any incompleteness before the final submission. Applicants may save their application as a draft before the submission deadline.
Do not forget to finalize your application on clicking on SUBMIT button.
Do not forget to read carefully consent and release form at the end of the form before submitting your application.
Selected singers that do not respect the educational team’s guidelines or those who will be absent during the master class, even partially, will automatically be excluded from the workshop. In this case, their registration
The jury includes Valérie Philippin, who will assign to each selected participant the two works they must prepare before the Master Class:
· One mixed work (Nono, Saariaho, D’Adamo, Lanza, or Risset)
· One a cappella work suggested by either the participant or Valérie Philippincs
Registration fees: 300 €
The academy does not offer any scholarships or housing. Participants must find their own housing.
Selected participants must (under penalty of loss of student status):
· Pay all registration fees in full before Tuesday, April 2, 2020
· Study the 2 works they are assigned before the Master Class (score, recording interaction with the electronics will be provided for the mixed work)
Selected singers that do not respect the educational team’s guidelines or those who will be absent during the master class, even partially, will automatically be excluded from the workshop. In this case, their registration fees will be not reimbursed
IT IS THE APPLICANT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE SHE UNDERSTANDS AND MEETS THE MASTER CLASS INFORMATION. ALL INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON www.ircam.fr
For any request regarding the workshop or the application, please contact academy (at) ircam.fr
For technical assistance, please have a look to the help page or contact technical.assistance (at) ulysses-network.eu
picture © www.chrispeus.com