Specific Call Artistic Research Residency Programs
IRCAM is opening a very specific call for our artistic research residency program that offers artists of all disciplines the opportunity to collaborate with one or more IRCAM research teams.
This call focuses on specific topics outlined below. Due to the nature of the research at the institute and our programs, we accept very few proposals through our open calls.
A panel of experts will select artists based on the originality and professional excellence of the applicant’s work. If a project is accepted, artists benefit from access to state-of-the-art technological infrastructure and support from IRCAM's research groups and expert teams.
The structure and length of the residency is tailored to each individual artist and project. Duration of residencies can range from two weeks to six months during the period from November 2022 to December 2023.
Residents receive 1,800 euros per month. Applicants must secure funding for travel, lodging, and fees associated with their project.
The call for applications is open from March 1, to April 1, 2022 (midnight Paris time).
Successfull applications will be announced on June 3, 2022.
In 2022, our research teams propose that future residents work on one of the following three themes:
- Augmentation of musical instruments by incorporating the chain "sensors -> processing -> actuators"
with the Sound, Systems, and Signals: Audio/Acoustics, Instruments Team
The team is interested in projects combining artistic (paradigm, concept, or imagined embodiment), technological (type of transducers and processing platform) and scientific (method) research to be developed in order to achieve targeted behaviours on one or several instruments.
- Learning to move: from the exploration of sound spaces to the mastery of the performative gesture
with the Sound Movement Interaction Team
The team develops interactive sound systems where the movements of the artists and/or the public are used to explore sound spaces. In these interactions, movements and perception are modified, and the researchers are increasingly exploring these new modifications of interaction modes, as far as mastering the control of sound synthesis. These mechanisms are based on numerous scientific, artistic, and design questions.
- Co-creative interactions and mixed musical reality
with the Musical Representations Team
The aim is to model—dynamically—musical intelligence and to propose creative tools for co-creative interaction, whether improvised or written, abstract or grounded in an augmented physical reality.
Get inspired by stories from past residents.
The IRCAM artistic research residency program supports individual artists. If a group of artists applies, proposals must be created and submitted by a representative / contact person.
Projects must be submitted electronically using the Ulysses Network platform. All applications must be in English or French.
Access to the electronic submission system is available after selecting the Artistic Research Residency Program 2020-2021.
Before submitting your application, please update your browser to the last version. We hightly ecommend to use Firefox or Chrome. If you have any error, please use one of those ones.
You can save your draft application any time. The submission platform will notify you about any missing information before the final submission.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Present the overall concept of your proposed work, show how it can be considered as innovative and original.
- Present the workplan and methodology to be implemented.
- Indicate your reasons for selecting a particular research team.
- Justify the requested budget.
Confidentiality and Data Protection
- IRCAM will treat your proposal confidentially, as well as any related information, data and documents received.
- Evaluation experts are also bound by an obligation of confidentiality.
- Public information may be used by IRCAM for communication purposes.
- We will process personal data in accordance with IRCAM's data protection policies.
- IRCAM reserves the right to terminate the residency following its selection, at any stage of its development and to refuse the presentation of a project considered incomplete, insufficient, ethically not in conformity with its policies. In such a case, Ircam may withdraw it entirely from its residency program at any time and without notice.
- An artistic research residency is not a commission for a work.
- An artistic research residency is not a scientific research residency.
For all questions or concerns, please contact residency (at) ircam.fr
Photo: Ircam Live 2020, Las Pintas by José Miguel Fernandez and Raphaël Foulon at the Centre Pompidou © IRCAM - Centre Pompidou, Photo: Quentin Chevrier